Belhaven is a town of many names. Originally called Matcha Pungo, the “river of many fish,” by the Native American inhabitants, the town was known at various times as Jack’s Neck and Belle Port (for beautiful door or harbor). In 1899, the Town of Belhaven was officially incorporated.
Defined by its deep harbor, the small town of Belhaven thrived during the 20th Century with lumber and saw mills and oyster and fishing industries. In 1928, it became the last link of the Intracoastal Waterway, completing the connection from Beaufort to Boston and making Belhaven a scenic water-town destination for boating, birding, fishing, as well as shopping and dining.